Saturday 23 June 2018

Why moving in landscape photography is important.

In this day and age with social media sites like Instagram you see so many amazing photo's and a lot of photographers will try their best to get similar shots of famous locations. I myself am guilty of doing this but as a photographer you hope to make your image better than the ones you've seen already.

A better image of a famous location could be caused by a few different reasons; epic Sunrise/Sunset, Aurora, crazy weather or just something happening in the frame that you never see.

A lot of photographers will stand at the exact same location where they have seen other photographers take their epic shot, I've seen this at places such as Kirkjufellsfoss in Iceland or Durdle Door in Dorset.



It's all well and good getting these types of shots as they will almost always look fantastic and your friends and family will love them but sometimes try stepping a few feet to the side and immediately you have something different and who knows, it could be even better.

I was recently in Sydney and I woke up at 5am in the morning to head over to Kirribilli to photograph the harbour for sunrise, at the time I wasn't really thinking because I stayed in the exact same spot throughout the whole shoot.

Once I came home and edited the photo's, I had like 50 shots of the same thing whereas maybe if I take 5-10 shots, move a few feet then take some more shots I could of had a lot more to play around with and also would have different content to post on Social media.


We all want those epic Instagram bangers which are going to get hundreds or thousands of likes, but take my word for it, just take a few steps to the side take the shot and then keep moving.

If you are staying in one spot, try moving your tripod lower to the ground or moving higher up. Different perspectives can have big rewards and will seperate you from others.

I was guilty of this, don't make the same mistakes.

By Greg Sheard
www.instagram.com/sheardphotography on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment