Sunday 24 June 2018

Mental health and photography

When I was 11 years old, I realised for the first time that the world was different to how I saw it at the time. I remember watching the news and all I saw was things like war, famine and death but there I was in a quiet town in Hertfordshire content with my surroundings but asking questions i've never thought of before.

I went upstairs to my desk and I decided to write a small poem on how I suddenly saw life, I will do my best to recite this from my memory but it went something like this...

"As we all can see the world is like a candle;
when the candle shines bright, it's a beautiful day

when the candle drips, it's rain 

when the candle flickers, it's war and pain

but when the candle burns out, there's nothing left to restart it!"


There was slightly more to the poem, sadly I can't remember what the rest was but I think just with that verse it says everything you need to know.

As I grew older throughout my teens and into adulthood, I had a number of experiences that would change my life forever and I still have them to this day. Experiences can be anything from health issues, losing family members or friends and anything else which can affect your mental health.

I was always lucky to have a good group of friends around me who understood the different things I was going through and always helped to pick me back up but deep down I was struggling, I would laugh and joke when around them but when I got home I could break down.

In 2012 I met the woman I was lucky enough to marry, it took me a while before I could explain to her about my depression and how it affects me but ever since I did she has fully supported me. We would often go and explore new places together and usually I would take a small camera with me or use my phone and it was from that point I realised that I wanted to get into photography.

Duke of Lancaster, North Wales

I started off just wanting to be a wildlife photographer, but found myself quickly moving into other areas of photography like landscape photography. I would watch hours upon hours of YouTube videos looking for the best tips, hints and locations to visit. In the last 2 years of doing photography, i've been fortunate enough to visit great locations around the UK like the Lake District, Wales and Scotland but also travelling abroad to New York, Iceland and Australia.

One thing always remains in common when I go out to do photography and that is suddenly all of my problems seem to go away, I feel at one with my camera and the location I am in and I have this sense of focus and perspective. 

I give myself goals and targets to make my photography better and every day I am learning something new, it could take years before I become a professional photographer but I want to keep going as for me it makes me happy.

I'm not saying photography is the cure for my depression but it helps take the edge off. Having a hobby you can really get your teeth stuck into helps immensely and I certainly recommend if you are ever struggling, just try something different and who knows? It could be the missing jigsaw puzzle in your life.

New York

By Greg Sheard
Follow me on Instagram @sheardphotography

1 comment: